Let’s Help You Gain a Following
Blogs are everywhere! But you can still stand out in a busy blog landscape if you employ any and all of the techniques below. In the end, it’s hard work, but don’t give up if you are truly passionate about your topic.
Write Great Content
- Unique content will always keep them coming back. While it takes time to craft quality posts, retreading others’ content can get you in trouble with copyright laws.
- Try to post regularly to consistently share your story, point of view, expertise, etc. and the Googlebots will love you.
- It’s true that content is still king – here’s some tips on that will keep you writing.
Share Your Posts With the World
- Want more reach? Post your stories to Digg, delicious, and StumbleUpon for starters.
- Add Facebook Like, Twitter, Google+, Email This to posts so visitors can share your content with a click of a button. Take advantage of DiggDigg, ShareThis, or ShareDaddy plugins to easily integrate on your WordPress blog.
- Install a search engine optimization plugin to encourage search engines and directories to index your blog. We recommend both the All in One SEO Pack and WordPress SEO by Yoast.
More Ways to Push Content Out
- RSS (or Really Simple Syndication) allows your content to be syndicated via RSS or news feeds. This helps your fans to stay in touch with what you are doing by reading your posts in a news reader.
- Newsletters offer visitors to be notified of updates via a nicely formatted email. Our favorite service is MailChimp, but we also have recommended Feedburner and Feedblitz.
- Take advantage of WordPress’s built-in Update Services (found in your Settings > Write panel). Minimally, you should be “pinging” to pingomatic, but there are other services you may wish to add.)
- Create Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn accounts, if appropriate, to promote your posts. Don’t feel compelled to join all the social media networks – just the ones that make sense for your business.
- Be actively engaged by following others and promote their content along with your own.
- Respond to your own blog’s comments to show you care about your readers.
- Comment on other’s blogs and forums.
- Answer your email promptly – within 24 hours is a nice rule.
- Send out a press release.
- Create a Google AdWords campaign.
- Reach out to other bloggers and offer to guest blog.
- Write an article for a local newspaper, trade magazine.
- Attend or speak at conferences in your industry.